- The attending physician ensures that the patients discharge needs are met. Communicates the patient’s readiness for discharge to concerned hospital staff and ensures that continuity of care must be followed after discharge.
- The attending physician educates the patients prior to discharge about his/her illness and to provide proper self care.
- Times to take medications and any special instructions
- Any equipment that the patient might use at home.
- When to call the physician and how to obtain urgent care.
The attending physician ensures that continuity of care occurs after discharge by:
- Assigning the follow up appointment for the patient (appointment card is being provided)
- Arranging referral services to the patient
- Communicating with other receiving physicians in case of transfer.
QUESTIONS THE PATIENT SHOULD ASK BEFORE GOING HOME:
- Does he/she need to come back to be re-checked? Who should he/she see?
- What health problems should the patient watch for at home?
- Have medications been prescribed? What are they and what are they for?
- Are there any side effects to the medications? If so, should the patient stop taking the medications?
-Any food restrictions and physical activities that should be considered?